A Quest for the Perfect Student Ministry
Matt arrived early for class brimming with anticipation. As a youth major he realized the importance of acquiring fresh educational insights along with practical experience. He desired to establish a balanced approach to student ministry.
He knew every class would play a role in helping him become an effective student minister. Matt had spent time identifying the top two priorities for accomplishing his goals. Bible courses would be primary with a strategic blend of student ministry classes added to gain balance.
So here he was on his first day in his first class and to say his expectations were high would be an understatement. Matt was on “A Quest for the Perfect Student Ministry” and his expedition was to begin here in Youth Ministry Philosophy 101.
Matt knew he had much to learn. He recognized his rookie status. But it just made sense that these three foundational questions could form the core competencies for his ministry:
- How do you define the perfect student ministry?
- Can anyone describe the perfect student?
- What qualities determine the perfect leader for student ministry?
As you read this case study above about Matt, I imagine you had one of the following reactions.
- Identified because you too are new to student ministry.
- Felt sorry for the poor shmuck for being so gullible.
- Remembered when you thought that there was such a thing as “perfect.”
- Hoped you could answer these questions.
Over the next three months, I will be addressing each of these areas as though I was Matt’s teacher. I hope you will follow Matt’s progress as well as make comments on the posts to help with the dialogue along the way. I value your input.
- December 30, 2015 – The Perfect Student Ministry
- January 27, 2016 – The Perfect Student
- February 17, 2016 – The Perfect Leader of Student Ministry
Let’s Talk: I get feedback concerning my posts through all of my social media sites. Feel free to let me know what you are thinking or how you are making application at any of these venues: