Your Life Is Too Loud
Set the timer for 30 seconds on your phone, your watch, or the instrument of your choosing. Press go. Then answer the following three questions:
- Who is the person you listen to the most?
- Who is the person you listen to the least?
The following oft-quoted Maxims may shed some light on the answers to your questions. Whether pithy or poignant, they address the concept of EXAMPLE.
“If you are going to talk the talk then you must walk the walk.”
“Do as I do is more powerful than do as I say.”
“I wish I could press fast-forward, just to see if you’re worth the wait.”
“Be who you needed when you were younger.”
Or my favorite:
“Your life is so loud, I cannot hear what you are saying.”
Gen Z students as well as adults are looking for authenticity of life. They seek out and follow those they perceive to be genuine. However, in today’s society, the concept of being a role model has been skewed and maligned to the point of losing credibility.
There is a desperate need for individuals who live lives of EXAMPLE – lives worthy of imitation -to be powerful influencers in our world today.
You can begin being an EXAMPLE by:
- Saying yes when others are saying no.
- Be willing to say yes to details not just prominent opportunities.
- Be sensitive to the needs of those around you.
- Saying no when others say yes.
- Manage your time.
- Manage your commitment to people.
- Being willing to keep giving when others give up.
- Develop a spirit of determination.
- Develop a strong work ethic.
- Demonstrating submission when others rebel.
- Practice full surrender to God.
- Learn to submit to others.
- Allowing God to lead rather than being self-sufficient.
- Remember you are transformed by the Gospel.
- Remember you need God’s wisdom in all things.
- Being willing to live above reproach.
- Be committed to purity of life.
- Have an accountability partner and system.
When Paul speaks in 1 Corinthians 11:1, he speaks with confidence. I think he is looking people directly in the eyes when he says, “Imitate me just as I also imitate Christ.” He is speaking directly about his EXAMPLE!
You can only speak words like those when your life speaks as loudly as your words.